Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Journal Entry #1

*Describe the situation that made you feel a need to respond in writing.
The beginning of a new school year has begun, but this one unlike the other ones is very different. I actually got into college, and my lifestyle has shifted in many ways. Now I'm an adult with more responsibilities, and goals have been made. Professor Mason gave us a paper due during the weekend that asked us what our goals were. I was very determined to write how i felt because for the past week now that I been in college my emotions have been from up and down. I wanted to let my professor know how i really felt been in a new school, practically starting new. It can be hard for a lot of people but I manage to do ok, that writing that paper made me excited because it will be the first of many coming this year.


Why did you decide to respond in writing instead of taking some other action or not responding at all?
First I decided to do it in writing because it was an assignment. Either way it was kind of cool because I let all my emotions, and feelings take over me and write how I really felt about being in school.

What type or genre of writing did you use to communicate your purpose, and why did you choose this genre?
I chosed to write to the reader on what my goals were, I chose this type of writing because I wanted the reader to know me, and my inner feelings that can't be spoken.


Who was your audience and what kind of relationship did you want to establish with your readers?
My only audience is my professor because honestly he will be the only one reading it, and the type of relationship I want to establishis for him to know me more as a person, and know that I do have feelings, and I'm not all about sitting in class just wondering online. Hehehe!

What was your purpose in writing? Did you feel you accomplished this purpose?
My purpose of writing this essay was because it was going to get graded, but I'm kind of glad I liked it because starting college isn't easy and you don't really know how you feel until you really think about it, and that's what I did and got to write it down. I feel like I accomplish my purpose because I developed a good essay, and all of it was truth.

What knowledge of the context and culture did you draw on to guide your writing?
The context of my writing is based on my first week of college, and the goals I want to set in life. I use my experience of college, to write on what I want to gain out of college, and what I want to accomplish.

How is thinking about your writing as responding to a “rhetorical situation” different from other ways to think about the writing you do?
What makes this writing special is the fact that it was my first paper of my whole college career, it makes me feel like I have accomplished something rather than just another paper.

No comments: